Our Adams Family Tree
1. Charles Adams b. 1840-41 Albany USA (note – there are 23 Albany’s in America !). The date & place of Charles’ death unknown, a Taxi Cab proprietor in Grafton. His 1867 marriage certificate lists him as the son of Charles Adams and Eunice Adams nee Gray. Did Charles arrive in Sydney in 1859 on the Narragansett, originating from the USA, which was a whaling ship from Nantucket(in Massachusetts USA) operating in the South Seas ? And if so, did he desert in Sydney (or Melbourne) and head to the goldfields ? Ships desertions were extremely common during those years. There is a mention of a C (or G?) Adams, boatsteerer from USA, arriving on the Narragansett, aged 22 years, listed in the ship’s crew on January 27 1859. Or did he arrive after the Civil War ? And we can find no death records for him – did he perhaps return to America ? Interestingly, my Ancestry DNA results, show 300 matches with Adams in their family lines, and of these, the largest number had Adams ancestors in Massachusetts – with many others in nearby states such as Connecticut – see more at Hunting for Charles Adams
m. Anne (Nancy) Weatherstone m. 01-01-1867 CofE, Grafton b. 1850 Grafton, Clarence River Region – d. 20-01-1941 Grey St, Glen Innes. Anne was the daughter of Clarence River pioneers : Samuel Weatherstone, a former convict from London UK, and Letitia Dougherty, a free settler from Londonderry, County Derry Ireland. Refer Weatherstone Page for more details on Weatherstone – Dougherty Family. The Weatherstone family was Roman Catholic, and the Dougherty’s were Irish Catholic’s – so it is indeed interesting that the marriage of Anne and Charles took place in the Church of England in Grafton.
Note – Anne’s Death Cert has son Arthur J still living and 1 male deceased? Informant : M Burrows, Daughter-in-law, 87 Bourke St, Glen Innes. Gives 1875/73 as marriage date to William (Burrows) but no record found as yet – Anne (Nancy) also appears to have had other children with William Burrows
2. Letitia J Adams b. 1867 Grafton d. 1891 Grafton m. William T Tomlinson (abt. 1862 – 1946 Grafton – Obituary) – after Letitia’s death William then remarried to Jessie Clarke and there were 4 daughters of the second marriage
3.Arthur James Adams b. 1886 Grafton – m. Janet H P Fuller m. 1915 Grafton
4. Edmund A Adams b. 1916 Bellingen – m Beryl Bailey, d. in Melbourne, VIC
4. Jessie L Adams b. 1917 Bellingen , d. 14-10-2002 in Kyneton, VIC. m Frank Horace Roberts, married 1948 in Grafton, b. 27-11-1917 in Broken Hill, d. 28-07-2001 in Ringwood, VIC.
3. Emmaline M Adams b. 1886 Grafton m. William C Chant m. 1906 Grafton , b. 1879 in Grafton, d. 26-09-1961 in Late of Concord.
4. William Frederick Clarence Chant, b. 1904 in Grafton, d. 1958 in Newtown. He married Katherine Irene Mary Croft, b. 1905 in Burwood.
4. Arthur L L Chant b. 1907 Lithgow m. Doris Ryan m. 1929 in Boorowa, b. 1906 in New Zealand, d. 18-01-1990 in Umina.
4. Emmaline L Chant b. 1910 Wallerawang d. 12-02-1977 in Late of Concord m. Donald H Whiteside m. 1935 in Boorowa, b. 1915.
4. Irene Mary Chant, b. 1920, d. 27-12-1991 in The Entrance, formerly of Bathurst. She married Stuart Clyde Cooke, married 1945 in Burwood, b. 1921, d. 7-10-1994.
3. William Andrew Tomlinson b. 1889 Grafton He married Janet Rubina Gunn, married 1943 in Sydney
3. Alfred C Tomlinson b. 1891 Grafton d. 1958 Queensland m. Emily D A Lawrence m. 1912 Grafton (daughter of Alfred Edward Lawrence (1868 – 1909 Grafton) and Mary Ann Green (1869 Wollombi – 1921 South Grafton). Alfred and Emily were divorced in 1929 – 1,. Alfred remarry to Alice Jean Vause nee McDonald in 1954 who was previously married to Edgar Vause of Macksville ?
4. Alfred Clarence Tomlinson b. 1912 Grafton m. Rose Margaret “Rosie” Luke b. 1915 Grafton m. 1939 in Moss Vale ( – d. 1976 Moss Vale) – Alfred and Rose were both resident in Grafton in 1937 according to the 1937 electoral roll. Rose was the daughter of Kitty Luke (1895 – 1971 Grafton), sister of Harry Luke (1919 Grafton – ) and granddaughter of William Luke (1870 – 1925 Casino) family lived in Grafton, Coaldale and Casino.
5. Emily May Tomlinson d. 1958 Goulburn (or Moss Vale ?)
5. Daughter Tomlinson m. ? Hore
6. Son Hore
4. Vera May Tomlinson. b. 1915 Grafton m. Thomas James Hill m. 1937
2. Arthur James Adams b. 1868 Grafton d. 15-07-1953 Goondiwindi Hospital m. Matilda Waters m. 01-04-1893 Collarenerbri b. ??-??-1873 Eurie Eurie, Walgett Living at Collarenerbri when married d 1924 Goondiwindi a week after breaking back in accident where bolting horse caused her sulky to overturn – daughter Letitia (Tess) injured in same accident & in hospital for many months. Refer also – Waters Page – see Matilda’s Death Certificate.
3. Mary Ethel May Adams b. 09-02-1894 Collarenerbri d. ??-??-1980 Brisbane after being burned in house fire – never married – recalled from Tweed Heads to Boggabilla by her father in 1924 following death of her mother Matilda to help raise her younger siblings & several of their children
4. Mabel Ray “Topsy” Adams b. ??-08-1918 Boomi d. ??-??-1996 m. Vivien Barry d.
5. Janet Barry
5. Peter Barry – d.
5. Michael Barry died in 1955 in early childhood
4. Cyril Ross Adams (son of Cyril Bernard Barden – refer Barden & McCosker pages) – b. 2-11-1923 Tweed Heads d. 17-2-1990 Bulli m. Joan Lois Callcott m. 19-12-1953 St Augustines Anglican Bulli b. 16-10-1932 Hornsby – d. 05-11-2012 Wollongong
5. Kerrie Anne Adams – married David John Christian (son of John Godfrey Tierneay known as Christian)
5. Daughter – married
5. Son – married
3. Lillian “Lily” Florence Adams b. ??-??-1895 Collarenerbri d 1916 in Queensland childbirth m. Francis Samuel Kellett m. 1915 Boomi – note Francis Kellett remarried in 1922 and had one son.
4. Emily M M Adams (b 1913 ?) m. Thomas H Townsend m. 1929 Warialda
5. Norma Townsend m. William Reynoldson
5. Neville Townsend
5. Michael Townsend
4. Francis Sydney Kellett b. 1916 d 1967 buried at Mitchell Cemetery married Sylvia Maude Curtis 1937 – b 1914 & died Mitchell 1987 – buried at Mitchell Cemetery
5. Vivian Keith Kellett (never married ?)
3. Leslie Charles Adams b. ??-??-1897 Collarenabri d. 16-07-1979 Goondiwindi m. Vera Matilda Bell m. ??-??-1928 Barraba b. 28-11-1908 Yetman
4. Valma Adams b. 1929 Goondiwindi m. Bernie O’Brien
4. Clarence “Clarrie” Adams b. 01-03-1931 Goondiwindi m. Gloria Jane “Billie” McGregor m. 28-06-1952
4. Betty Joy Adams b. 24-04-1933 Goondiwindi m. David Brooks m. 05-05-1951 Stanthorpe b. 25-03-1928 Stanthorpe d. 25-05-1988 Surat
4. Beryl Adams b. 1935 Goondiwindi m. John Nosworthy m. Tamworth / m. Ivan Gunn m. Goondiwindi / m. Darryl Reid m. St George
4. Marion Adams b. 1937 Goondiwindi d
4. Jocelyn Adams b. 21-03-1941 Goondiwindi
3. Ivy Elizabeth Adams (birth certificate has Elizabeth Ivy) b. 03-03-1901 Sandy Flat/Tenterfield d. 25-07-1996 Wollongong m. Edward H Richardson m. 1925? Casino
4. Laurence Richardson m. Gloria
4. Edward Richardson (died in childhood)
4. Maxwell Richardson m. Ilene
4. Joyce Richardson
4. William Richardson m. Thelma
4. Douglas Richardson m. Merle
4. Ronald Richardson m. Denise
3. Arthur James “Dick” Adams b. ??-??-1904 Moree m. Venetta “Vene” M A Choice m. ??-??-1933 Boomi d
4. Athol Adams b. 06-03-1934 Goondiwindi d.
4. Glen Adams b. 23-02-1938 Goondiwindi
4. Barry Adams b. 23-02-1938 Goondiwindi
4. Lenore Adams b. 03-03-1945 Goondiwindi
3. Letitia (Tess) Maud Adams b. ??-??-1906 Moree d m. George H Fleming m. ??-??-1935 Boomi
4. Brenda Fleming
4. Gordon Fleming
4. George Fleming
4. Kevin Fleming
3. Dorothy Jean Adams b. ??-??-1908 Emmaville d 2002 m. James Green b 1909 d 1982 m. ??-??-1930 Glen Innes- James was the son of Oliver Charles Green and his wife Georgina Wilson
3. Mabel Isobel “Mid” Adams b. ??-??-1910 Moree d 1968 m. John Bertram “Bert” Tuckerman m. ??-??-1927 Casino
4. Ilma Tuckerman
4. Alwyn “Wack” Tuckerman
4. Bertram Alan “Bert” Tuckerman
4. Shirley Tuckerman
4. Norma Tuckerman
3. Frederick J aka “E (Ted)” Adams b. ??-??-1913 Moree d. 1945 ? – buried Boggabilla Cemetery in an unmarked grave
3. William Charles “Gidge” Adams b. 1914 d. m. Alice Joyce Suhr m. ??-??-1941 Moree d.
4. Alys Rae Adams
4. Douglas Adams
4. Stephen Adams
2. Unnamed Adams b. 1869 Grafton
2. Charles William Adams b. 23-07-1873 Wharf St, South Grafton d. 1936 in QLD rec 1936/C2632. He married Amelia Nettle, married 1874 in QLD rec 1874/C31. Amelia: aka Amelia Mill on first 2 children’s birth recs.
3. Alice Amelia Florence Adams, b. 1875 in QLD, d. 1875 in QLD
3. Alfred William Charles Adams, b. 1875 in QLD, d. 1876 in QLD
3. Amelia Mary Adams, b. 1876 in QLD
3. Charles William Nettle Adams, b. 1877 in QLD, d. 1878 in QLD
3. Emily Louisa Victoria Adams, b. 1878 in QLD
3. Albert Frederick Ernest, b. 1879 in QLD
3. Mabel Ann Adams, b. 1880 in QLD, d. 1882 in QLD
3. Arthur Heber Adams, b. 1882 in QLD, d. 1937 in QLD
3. Charles Alfred Adams, b. 1884 in QLD, d. 1885 in QLD
3. Jane Emma Adams, b. 1885 in QLD
3. Bertha Cecilia Adams, b. 1887 in QLD
3. Percy Charles Adams, b. 1890 in QLD
2. Alfred Clarence Adams b. 09-04-1877 Orara, Dist of Grafton – however he is not an Adams but is actually Anne (Nancy) Weatherstone & Williams Burrows son. Refer https://www.trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/61242898 – additional Trove articles – 1 and Trove articles – 2.
Note – Anne (Nancy) Weatherstone & William Burrows had 5 children in all – Alfred Clarence Adams/Burrows, Alice Ann Burrows, James Richard Burrows, Ivy Elizabeth Burrows, and Emily E Burrows – refer Weatherstone Page